Mediterranean Diet is mostly thought of 3 to 4 feasts with multiple courses of Racks of Lambs, Long Loaves of White Bread, Pizza, Lasagna and endless bottles of Wine but this is just a myth because a true Mediterranean diet is based on vegetables, beans, traditional fruits of the region, nuts, dairy, olive oil, seafood and 1 to 2 glasses of red wine.
A real Mediterranean diet is all about having wholesome fresh food. The main part of the diet contains regular physical activity and sharing meals with vital elements of the diet pyramid.
There are many benefits of a Mediterranean Diet:
Benefits of Mediterranean Diet
- It keeps you Agile, if you are an older adult, the nutrients gained with a Mediterranean diet may reduce the risk of developing muscle weakness and other signs of frailty by about 70 percent.
- If you follow a Mediterranean diet then you are able to limits the intake of processed foods, refined breads and red meat and increase drinking red wine rather than hard liquor and this combination helps to prevent stroke and heart disease.
- According to a research, Mediterranean diet improves blood sugar levels, cholesterol and overall blood vessel health which reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s
- The diet also helps you to fight depression and also help fight off the cancer, according to a systematic review of studies. The study shows that overall people who adhere to the diet have a 13 percent lower rate of cancer mortality.
- A Mediterranean diet is rich in fiber which makes a person manage fullness which makes you feel more satiated which helps with a healthy weight loss and metabolism. The best part is to replace the simple carbs with vegetables, legumes, beans and fiber rich fruits.
- A Mediterranean diet is linked to positively impacting muscle mass and bone in post menopausal women.
- A Mediterranean diet is full of high population of good bacteria in the micro biome as compared to those who ate a traditional Western diet.
- It reduces the risks and potential obstacles and helps you live longer because of less diseases and healthy eating.
These are few of the benefits of opting Mediterranean food in our diet.